Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Doors of Perception

Plato's Allegory of the Cave

(the animated version)



I was speaking to someone about this recently, and they were surprised that we were required to read this in art school, as well. I mentioned to her that the lesson was about perception, which can be a visual idea, as well as philosophical and social. I also feel that this allegory makes an interesting link to the idea of shadows. (I was speaking in an earlier post about 'loss shadows') What is the reality of the shadow? What is the perception of the shadow when one is in the cave?

It's one's reality.

My horoscope this week was as well, about projections/perceptions, and I was given this quote to ruminate upon and disprove: "The person one loves never really exists, but is a projection focused through the lens of the mind onto whatever screen it fits with least distortion."- Arthur C. Clark

To dissolve and elude my perceptions...I didn't think I had accomplished that task. However, I then realized that my 365 circles are almost all related to the eyeball and perceptions, this week. All of the found papers are medical photos of diseased eyeballs. There's nothing more real than that. Those distortions are seen quite plainly; but I still think they are beautiful. My shadows are realities, my eyes become windows...I don't think I project very much anymore.
Is what it is, yo.


365.twenty-nine




365.thirty




365.thirty-one




365.thirty-two




365.thirty-three




365.thirty-four




365.thirty-five



Cheers.