Thursday, October 24, 2013

Oh! Also a Show!

I forgot because this was sprung on me at the last minute as of my pieces will be in The Highlandtown Arts District Association Exhibition, which runs October 26 through the Closing Reception on November 2, 530-730pm. I think Los Muertos will be in the Amelia Rothschild Gallery upstairs at the Creative's a multi-locale exhibition for people who live and work in Highlandtown (that's me, at the Creative Alliance!)

Anyway, this is a sort of bad photograph, but I had to pop one off all fast-like, early yesterday morning before the drop because I had altered it from it's original. This is a somewhat normal practice for me...the tweaks...however it means I sometimes have to shoot new photos of the work before it leaves the studio. Since I only had about 12 hours notice of the exhibition beforehand, it was a mad, mad morning; one with way too little light. I'll be sure to get a better photo at the exhibition. If it's installed today, I just might be able get the image while I'm at work this week.

But here's the crappy version until then:

Los Muertos
yarn, acrylic on canvas

Exhibition announcement:

Hope to see you there, Bmore!

New Images of New Work!

If you didn't catch it, I have uploaded images from my new series in progress, Contrary.


The images can be found on my website at this link, here:

I decided to make some very colorful landscapes, I needed that feeling of expansiveness after my recent burn-out...the wax and wane of artmaking. However, I ultimately enjoyed playing with the tissue paper and I slowly grew within the series. I think you can see a bit of the progression from start to finish. It's interesting to note, that in the end I used a reductive method. I seem to feel most comfortable destroying the art to then create what I need.

I think some of the first few had 'too much' (or 'not enough') going on for my liking...they were too bright, too foreign to come from my hand--but they did! Although I enjoyed playing with color and tearing strips of tissue paper, and gluing....the end results were not right. So I did go back and revise the first three after the fact, took some away, added some pencil lines or added more layers. The most important change to note, was that I also flipped most of them. I turned them so that they were oriented vertically rather than horizontally, which really activated the space a bit more, or at least made them much more energized and unexpected in my opinion.

At this point, it feels like a fairly cohesive series to me and I might start shopping around for some galleries. I could explore it more, but I'm anxious (nervous) to get into a new figurative set. I will be using some of the same techniques as are found in these newest landscapes. Words...words/text are sometimes difficult to integrate visually. That will seemingly be my main issue with the upcoming figurative set, but we'll just see. I'll also be thinking about transparency and layering, as seen in this current series.

Look for progress reports soon, and thanks for stopping in! Please check out the link to my website!

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Feminist Art Project - Baltimore

Hey all, as regional coordinator of The Feminist Art Project - Baltimore chapter, I'd like to announce that our first meeting is THIS Thursday, the 17th! I am fairly excited to see who shows up, and fairly nervous to run the first meeting. The details are below on this flier, if you'd like to join us. Please check us out, all are welcome. We'll be at City Arts in Baltimore for this first meet and greet...