Sunday, March 8, 2009

Those Birds Could Dance

I just got home from seeing the UW Milwaukee production of Oedipus Rex, which is my favorite play. It was a very good production, very humorous in the right areas. And the part where he gouges his eyes...and thereafter...was just how I always thought it would go in my head. As in, it visually looked the same as when I was 14, and I first concocted a mind picture from reading. Unreal. Also, we were in the second row, seated at the center. As an audience member, you are (more or less) up the actors' noses at that proximity.

But the opening few minutes of the play featured some hardcore African Dance inspired moves. I could tell because I took a few classes at one point, and it almost killed me, every class period. From the sounds of the heavy panting coming from the whole chorus in Oedipus Rex, it was at the very least, African Dance inspired. Basically if ya can't breathe anymore, there are more than likely, some African Dance moves going on.

Anyway, that opening scene was really powerful, and it made me think of Milwaukee's own Ko-thi Dance Company. I found this video that has four short routines on it, but will give you their flavor nonetheless. I particularly enjoy the dance that comes in at 6:30 in the video. They make me think of a flock of graceful birds.

It's all about the birds lately...



I should be starting the next DH piece tomorrow or the next day....look for it in the near future.

6 comments:

yolanda said...

i took some african dance classes about 2 years ago. unfortunately i have no co-ordination so i was hopeless, but i still loved them!

shana goetsch said...

african dance=hard. (and i took many dancing classes for many years of my life) still, so hard to keep up and not die.

Heather Gordy said...

Kinda strange you posted this. I was channel surfing yesterday and came across this segment of America's Next Top Model. Now, I don't watch it but the models were in South Africa and were at a dance troop and had to learn some traditional dances. It was interesting so I watched that segment.

Heather Gordy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
shana goetsch said...

i only watch the photos shoot/end product photo parts of top model. i can't help it. sucks me right in, the act of photographing and producing a finished photo for a magazine. a lot of times...really cool.

Vag said...

wow, peeps all up about the african dancing.