Thursday, March 3, 2011

Community Conversations

Hey Baltimore! You are invited to the closing reception, and part one of my three-part thesis 3Tributaries, which is happening on Friday March 11, from 5:30-7:00 pm at 901 Arts in Baltimore City. Here is the e-vite, and I hope to see you there!



1 901 Arts

As the AmeriCorps Artist-in-Residence for the House Of Ruth Maryland, I have been facilitating art workshops with shelter residents since October. Lately, we have focused our creative energies on the concepts of “safety” and “protection”. When I was asked recently to serve as a guest artist and facilitate classes in Baltimore’s Better Waverly neighborhood, I brought these same themes, concepts and art techniques to the youth at 901 Arts.

The youth and I discussed the reasons domestic violence shelters exist and why women and children might seek a safe haven like the House Of Ruth. After our discussion, the youth developed collograph printmaking plates addressing the theme of “safe spaces”.

The youth created beautiful art work, conceptually and visually! They were especially interested in investigating the safe spaces in their own lives.

The art work displayed here is part one of my three-part visual thesis, 3Tributaries. The row house images on display not only reference national domestic violence statistics, but also explore techniques and metaphors in printmaking.

It is an honor to show my work in conjunction with that of the Better Waverly community residents. Thank you to program coordinators Cait Byrnes, Sarah Tooley and all of the talented youth at 901 Arts for inviting me!

No comments: