Friday, October 31, 2008

Further Thoughts on Frida

I lied, I had more to say. I think I put it most succinctly in this part of my thesis paper...

"...What I am influenced by and what I seek out, is based on loss and personal experience; mainly on words or concepts, but some times based on images. I can still recall the power of the images in the movie Frida. The accident scene on the bus was particularly horrifying, yet so beautiful it made me weep. Thinking of it right now makes me a little teary, in fact. But that image of her twisted body covered in golden glitter will always stick with me. She was the very essence of a broken, fallen angel, captured in the exact moment of her fall, and that moment painted her golden. I believe those images in the film contained a very strong pictorial message. Kahlo's personal story, her challenges and her experience, were beautiful in their tragedy. Her experience was golden. I enjoy the deepness of that visual metaphor, I enjoy its dichotomy, even if it is tough to look at..."

There, I'm satisfied now.

1 comment:

Vag said...

"her twisted body covered in golden glitter"...

~blessed be.