Sunday, March 9, 2014

Firestarter

I have started the first piece in my series, Spitfire! Actually I'd say this is almost done...for the time being. I had some physical and psychological difficulties with this...actually with the text application. Partially it was my nerves, I started having visceral reactions every time I tried to place the tiny slips of paper, cold sweats, shaking and a mini-crying fit before I got it together....so I know it's important.

The printmaking did not take the way I would have liked and got smeary in areas, despite my earlier tests. I switched it and ended up just collaging the words. I do like the effect. I was going for symmetrical enough to trick the eye, but not absolute, and still retaining the feel of my hand in the piece. I think the marriage worked on this one, but I'm not sure what I'll do for the rest.

Tentatively titled, Firestarter: Angry + More; here are some WIP shots...



Incidentally, I was recently invited to submit a piece for an exhibition this summer, Things That Scare Me at Howard Community College. The exhibition will be up during the month of June as part of the Columbia Festival of the Arts. This might just be the one!


4 comments:

Lola B said...

i always think pieces so close, so personal and close...are harder and more reactionary when making. good choice for the exhibition!

Oren said...

Awesome work, Shana!

Tiffany Black said...

Awesome work, Shana!

shana goetsch said...

Hey Thanks Tiffany! check the post a few above this one, it looks fairly different...more intensely colored.

i think both you and oren are you? thanks both, either way! ;)